Common Intellectual Experience | Ursinus College
2) getting on board for french honor society. we had elections for fhs and everyone voted. again, i dont know if this really counts as an intellectual experience. i could use the same thing for theatre club because im on board for that too, but i figured that french honor society seemed closer to being intellectual.
Common Intellectual Experiences - TAMUCC
These questions should all be answered fully within the body of your essay with your intellectual experience providing that unifying story line throughout your essay holding it all together.
This year’s prompt on an intellectual experience was added as a word change to a similar, earlier prompt and is much broader than that earlier prompt on an academic experience, which it replaced in 2012. Academic limits you to school and maybe that internship or research project you did. Intellectual does not limit your topics as much. Music, film, rock climbing, almost any serious human endeavor or experience can have an intellectual aspect to it, if you look at it the right way. Books, of course, are an ancient source of intellectual experiences and these will be a specific focus in this post.
The Common Read is a Common Intellectual Experience that promotes integrative learning across the curriculum. This is accomplished through voluntary participation of faculty, both on campus and in local high schools, who introduce the text to their students and support the reading with co-curricular events. This text is supported via professional development and co-curricular, cross-disciplinary events. These provide an opportunity for increased social and academic engagement while enhancing student learning outside of the classroom.– Unusual circumstances in your life
– Travel or living experiences in other countries
– What you would want your future college roommate to know about you
– An intellectual experience (course, project, book, discussion, paper, poetry, or research topic in engineering, mathematics, science or other modes of inquiry) that has meant the most to you
– How you hope to use your college education
– A list of books you have read during the past twelve monthsAs for essays on work, I wouldn’t necessarily say not to write about your job flipping burgers, but you might want to give it some heft. Try reading or at least perusing Barbara Erenreich’s for some ideas on how to add depth to an essay on your fast-food/entry-level side job. Internships will hopefully also provide fodder for an intellectual experience essay.Anything can constitute an intellectual experience... and I do mean anything - from reading Nietsche to having sex, a conversation, to taking a dump...I have to write a essay and it is asking me to tell them about an intellectual experience that has mattered most to you...what does this even mean....my thoughts about something or an experience from class???What are common intellectual experiences?
The older idea of a “core” curriculum has evolved into a variety of modern forms, such as a set of required common courses or a vertically organized general education program that includes advanced integrative studies and/or required participation in a learning community (see below). These programs often combine broad themes—e.g., technology and society, global interdependence—with a variety of curricular and co-curricular options for students (AAC&U LEAP, 2008).What other Universities are doing to promote common intellectual experiences:
A theme is selected with various reading, activities, and discussion focused around that theme.
Designed to provide all new first-year students with a common intellectual experience to stimulate discussion, critical thinking, and encourage a sense of community among students, faculty and staff.
The Common Reading Program is a University-wide initiative spearheaded by University College that aims to unite students, TAMIU faculty and staff, and the community around a common academically oriented intellectual activity. Each year is followed-up with an opportunity for students to submit reflection essays in a competition called Around the World. Winners are selected and have the opportunity to participate in a study abroad trip to the country highlighted in the book.
On the Same Page gives new students along with the entire campus a common theme to talk about. A reading is selected each year that all new students and faculty members are responsible for reading. This reading and the themes found in this reading are then carried on through courses, Freshman Seminars, and activities hosted on campus.1) i want to write about why i decided to take pre-med in college. almost a year ago my mom was in the hospital to have surgery. i loved the environment there and all the doctors and really looked up to them. thats kind of when i realized i wanted to be a doctor. i dont think this really counts as an intellectual experience though. it seems more emotional.This prompt then becomes the idea that will form the basis behind the story that will form your . You now need to select an intellectual experience from your past that has influenced you in some way, preferably with regards to your choice of future career which after all what your admissions essay is a route towards.What are common intellectual experiences?
The older idea of a “core” curriculum has evolved into a variety of modern forms, such as a set of required common courses or a vertically organized general education program that includes advanced integrative studies and/or required participation in a learning community (see below). These programs often combine broad themes—e.g., technology and society, global interdependence—with a variety of curricular and co-curricular options for students (AAC&U LEAP, 2008).